Tuesday, April 28, 2009

#23: Thirty-One Days

One month from today I will be at a rehearsal for MY wedding. MY WEDDING!! what?!?!
It's so close! Yet with all the stuff that needs to be done beforehand, I kind of feel like it's a little far away.  I need a lot of grace to get my to-do list done...which seems to grow every day. 

The past 8 months have been filled with lots of work, planning, multi-tasking, ups and downs. When we first got engaged, I know we both felt like 9 months was so long. At some points it has felt like forever, but I have been so grateful for the time. In many ways our engagement has flown by. With my headaches, homework, work, and applying to grad school and jobs, it has been wonderful to not feel stressed out about the wedding. Honestly, it has been the least stressful part of my life! Our friends and family have made it so easy for us. Our wedding day is a labor of love by so many wonderful, dear people. It makes the day so sweet!

I'm definitely not an expert on this whole wedding thing, but I do have one piece of advise for anyone who is engaged:

Enjoy it. Treasure it. Be content.

I know that the wedding planning can get overwhelming and there are so many little details that you never knew about. I know it's hard to focus on anything else besides planning. I know that you just want to be married and why can't it just be the day already!

But being content will make your engagement so sweet. Don't let it be something you just try to be patient through. I think engagement is a sweet time. It will never be like this again. In many ways, it will be better. But right now, there are so many unknowns, so many things that you could never guess at, but despite that you want to share the rest of your life with this person. That is beautiful. Your relationship will change....treasure the way it is now. Delight in the fact that you are going to marry the love of your life. You are keeping yourself for this person, and that is wonderful too. 

I love this quote from Jim Elliot to his wife Elisabeth. He wrote it to her after they were engaged. The feeling behind them are so beautiful. 

"I thank my God. Life has been made so much the fuller for His giving me you. I was recounting today ...how rich, how full (i can't find a better word!) He has made life for me..."And He said, 'Lacked ye anything?' They said, 'Nothing."' Part of me was lacking until this now --oh i needed you, neither of us knew how sorely! And even now, thought I don't have you in the fullest sense, still i do, in a sense I will not when we have known each other.
I'm glad that last is still ahead. Glad I'm not jaded by nights in bed with you, as married couples are. They can bear to sit at opposite sides of the car. I'm glad I still can't quite keep my hands off you, still must be warned not to "muss you up." I have you now unravished, and that's just how I need you now. The schoolboy in me still wonders and is awkward --we've not had "experience" -- which takes the edge off. We will, I suppose, get used to each other and feel and smell and look of one another, but I am glad it is not so now. As I never felt before, I feel now that I must keep myself for youGod knows it is a stay to purity, and He knows how many shakings to purity are ahead."


I love you Nathan. I will treasure our engagement for the rest of my life. Thanks for asking :)

No comments: