Saturday, March 27, 2010

#40: Thrifty Fun :)

It's been so much fun to find things for our home! Through yard sales, craigslist, and the help of our friends, we have found great things for great prices. Here are some things that we've gotten the past couple of weeks:

*An Ikea wardrobe to use as our pantry. We had found it on Ikea.com and had decided that we wanted to buy it. A couple days later I was searching on craiglist for other things, and on a whim typed in “pantry”. The Ikea wardrobe popped up...for 1/2 the price!

*Nate's mom saw a washer and dryer listed in a yard sale ad on Craigslist. We checked it out and were able to buy a really nice Fisher and Paykel washer and dryer set for less than a bottom of the line washer. A washer and dryer were the only appliances that our house needed. check!


*Jewel went to a couple thrift stores and looked for some things that I wanted. She was able to find me 2 bulletin boards (for a future project), a bookshelf, a mirror, and a lamp for $15! Thanks Jewel!


*Our master bedroom needed a fan and earlier this week I found one on Craiglist. It's in great condition. I also got my first experience picking up a craigslist item by myself and met a very rude man....whom I told that if he didn't stop being rude I wouldn't buy his fan. Then he was nicer. And I was glad because his fan was very nice! It looks like this:

Last night we looked up a few yard sales on Craigslist and set out this morning. Today we found:

*a beautiful vintage rocking chair at an estate sale that was priced at $25 in Burke. Most of the items there were too expensive for us. They were beautiful though! So much vintage loveliness! I spotted the chair in the corner and when I saw the price tag, I couldn't resist. Fortunately, after Nathan sat in it, he couldn't either :) And he asked to pay $20 and they said yes! A coat of paint and reupholstering the cushion are tentatively in the future for this beauty.



*We then drove all the way to Bristow to see a patio set that had been listed for $50. The set had 6 chairs, a glass top rectangular table, and an umbrella with its stand. The metal has rusting so it needs to be sandpapered and painted. We got everything for $40, so it definitely is worth the work to clean it up!


*We also got a free lawnmower off the curb in Gainesville. We also found it on Craigslist. It's electric but our lawn is very small...and it was free!


*We also picked out a very nice deck fireplace with a gift that Nathan got from work. We can't wait to use it and we are so grateful. And I am so grateful for Nathan's hard work :)


To end our bargain day, I was on craigslist and found a chandelier for $10. This was something that I had been really wanting. We need a light over our dining table and I saw this on a design blog and knew right away that I wanted to do it...except my color of choice is yellow :) The chandelier is in perfect condition and it even has glass shades to go over each light, which I was not expecting. And I had orginally thought the chandelier was $20 from the ad, but when we got there the told us $10!



I have a lot of projects ahead of me and I am so excited for them! I love crafts and DIY and can't wait to do things for our home :) I hope to post many before and after pictures to keep track of everything we do.


God has been so kind and we feel so very blessed!

No comments: